Wednesday, October 24, 2012

26 Days at Sea (Denise's Example Blog Post 1)

Dear Students:  

Read my example blog post below to see how long and how a post should be written.

_____________________________________________________________________

This photo is one that I will cherish always.  It hangs in frame in my living room, and every time I see it, I smile.  The woman in the photo is my grandmother, who is still alive today.  She is ninety-four years old, strong and healthy, and living in the home she bought with my grandfather in San Francisco in 1975.  The small girl on the right in the photo is my mom.  I think she was about five years old in this photo.  On the left is my uncle, my mom's brother.  

If you guessed that my grandmother and her children (my mom and uncle) were on a boat in this picture you are correct!  This photo was taken when my grandmother immigrated to the U.S. by boat.  It took twenty-six days by boat to sail from the Philippine Islands to San Francisco.  They were on their way to meet my grandfather who was already in the U.S., as an Army officer.  In the picture, everyone is smiling which might seem odd because they are wearing life vests!  It turns out that they are wearing the life vests because it was an emergency drill. 

I love this photo.  Every time I see it, I think of how fortunate I am to be an American citizen, and how brave my grandparents were to leave their home country to travel to a new land and start a new life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment